Friday, April 3, 2009

Fess up, Mr. Stair Inventer


I want to meet the man who first invented stairs. As I was huffing my way up a million stairs today I got to thinking - whose bright idea were these? Elevators, now there's a brilliant invention. Stairs? Ugh.

According to several sources, the oldest surviving stairs are those found in the ruins of Jericho. The Jewish Virtual Library claims these stairs are more than 7,000 years old. Yet there is no record of the person who invented them. Figures. If I were that person, I wouldn't fess up either.

It is a good thing stairs have such a great architectural appeal, that kind of makes up for their exhausting nature. Kind of. ;)

2 comments:

  1. So Im diggin the look of the two bottom pictures, but really? THOSE would be tiring. Talk about a lack of practicality....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree - they would be tiring. But I also find them scary because there are no hand rails on either of them. Being the klutz that I am, I think I would die.

    ReplyDelete